Use VNC to connect to supercomputers
VNC advantages over X-forwarding:
- faster and responsive
- stable and established means of graphical remote control.
- consumes kB/sec instead of MB/sec.
- deliberately or accidentally disconnect, and when you reconnect, your VNC desktop is still there as it was.
- Wayland replaces X11, and Wayland does not forward over the network
How to use VNC to HPC:
- Install VNC Viewer on your laptop: RealVNC Viewer is free for Mac/Windows/Linux.
- Start VNC server on HPC
- Connect to VNC server using its IP address